Travel Guidelines

“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Frequently Asked Questions about Traveling with Pets
What do I need to know about traveling with my pet?

Planning ahead when traveling with your pet is crucial for ensuring a smooth and stress-free experience for both you and your furry friend. There are many factors to consider, such as the mode of transportation, accommodation options, and pet-friendly activities at your destination. By doing your research and preparing in advance, you can avoid unexpected surprises and make sure that your pet’s needs are met throughout the journey. It’s also important to consider your pet’s temperament and any special requirements they may have, such as medication or specific dietary needs. By taking the time to plan ahead, you can enjoy a safe and enjoyable trip with your beloved pet.

When traveling anywhere with your pet, we recommend you consider bringing:

  • Current Rabies Certificate
  • Current vaccine certificate
  • Microchip number
  • City license number
  • Travel ID with a photo of your pet
  • Copy of medical records (particularly if your pet has any chronic conditions)
  • Medications (including flea/tick/heartworm control)
  • Regular Diet (may not be available at your destination)
  • Pet carrier/Bed and Toys
How should I prepare for my pet for traveling by air?

Besides the normal preparation for travel you will also need to:

  • Confirm your airline allows pets.
  • Check for any species, size, age, or breed restrictions.
  • Review any special instructions for carriers or kennels provided by your airline.
  • Review any documents required by your airline and any specific timing with the issuing of those documents.
    • Rabies vaccines are required by all airlines. Check with your airline about this requirement and whether they have any timing requirement for this vaccine.
    • Most airlines require a Certificate of Veterinary Health Inspection prior to flight which must be issued on the date of examination by a USDA accredited veterinarian.
    • Many airlines require the Certificate of Veterinary Health Inspection be issued within 10 days of initial travel. Some will allow your pet to travel for up to 30 days with the same certificate.  Confirm your dates of travel and that the certificate will be valid during that timeframe.
    • Your pet may need a certificate of acclimation — this is most often required for cold weather travel.
    • If your pet requires an examination or vaccination, please make sure to schedule your pet’s appointment in advance.
  • Confirm any feeding and watering instructions from the airline.
  • Reservations for your pet should be made at the same time as your own to help ensure your pet will travel with you and that there will be room on the flight for your pet.

Planning ahead will help ensure you and your pet have a safe, healthy, and relaxing trip, no matter your destination.

Are there any special considerations I should make when booking plane tickets for my pet?


  • We strongly recommend making reservations for both you and your pet at the same time to reduce the chances of your pet being denied boarding due to overbooking.
  • Try to have your pet travel in the cabin with you.
  • Consider booking a non-stop/direct flight to your destination. If you cannot, we recommend avoiding plane changes and minimizing transfers.
  • If your departure or arrival is likely to involve high temperatures, aim for travel during cooler hours such as early morning or late at night.
  • If your departure or arrival is likely to involve cold temperatures, try to travel mid-day to late afternoon.

In addition to the above, planning ahead is essential to ensure that there are no restrictions for your pet or their travel plans. It’s important to research any breed restrictions, quarantine laws, or other regulations that may apply to your pet at your destination even if that destination is within the U.S.. Furthermore, it’s crucial to ensure that your pet is up to date on all necessary vaccinations and has a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian. Some airlines may have specific requirements for pet carriers, so it’s important to check with the airline ahead of time and ensure that your carrier meets their guidelines. By planning ahead and checking for any restrictions or requirements, you can ensure a safe and hassle-free journey for your pet.

What do I need to know about travel restrictions for pets?

Both countries and Airlines create their own pet policies so what is true for some may not be true for others.  Always check with your destination country and airline to ensure your pet’s breed is not on a restricted list.

Common restrictions include:

  • Brachycephalic and snub-nosed dogs and cats are generally not accepted for travel in cargo by any airline. Make sure to carefully check their breed list. Airlines may even require a form signed by a veterinarian confirming that a “mixed breed” dog or cat is not predominantly any of the breeds they prohibit. This form would be provided by your airline.
  • Some airlines and countries may prohibit dogs of what they describe as “historically aggressive breeds.” Those airlines and countries should provide a list of breeds that are banned.
  • Sedation/Tranquilization is often prohibited prior to travel. Airlines may refuse to accept pets that appear to be medicated in this manner.
  • Cold or hot weather may result in your airline refusing to fly your pet. If your pet will be traveling to or through a location with temperatures lower than 45 degrees Fahrenheit the airline may require a letter of acclimation which states that the pet can be kept/transported in temperatures between 20- and 44-degrees Fahrenheit for a certain amount of time. By law airlines are not allowed to transport pets in temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit or above 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can I get sedatives for my pet?

The answer to this will depend on your pet, their health, and how they will be traveling. The most common request we receive is for medication for pets traveling by plane in cargo.  In the majority of cases medication is not recommended or allowed for pets traveling in cargo as it may reduce their ability to regulate their body temperature and increase the likelihood of injury or death.  Whenever possible we recommend working with your pet through training to increase their comfort while traveling or leaving your pet at home. If travel is still in your pet’s future, the doctor can discuss the safest and best options with you.

What do I need to know about getting a Health Certificate?

A Domestic Health Certificate (also known as a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection or CVI) is issued by a veterinarian who is licensed in their state and has received USDA accreditation. The document is supplied by and reported to the State of Washington. All of our doctors are licensed, and the majority of our doctors are USDA accredited. Health certificates are generally required by airlines and sometimes by government officials. It is important to be familiar with your airline’s documentation requirements as well as confirming anything required by your destination (even if it is within the U.S.)– in some cases pets who are unaccompanied require additional documentation. Check with your airline directly for their requirements. You can visit the Washington State Department of Health for more information about domestic travel.

If your pet needs a health certificate for domestic travel, you will need to:

  • Verify the requirements for the certificate including how long before travel the certificate may be issued as well as how long the certificate is valid after the initial trip. Depending on the destination of travel and the length of your trip your certificate my expire before you return.
  • Schedule your pet’s veterinary examination in advance.
  • Verify that your pet’s rabies vaccine is current and falls within the airline’s and/or destination’s guidelines. Some airlines require the vaccination be given at least 30 days prior to travel.
  • If your pet was vaccinated by another veterinary practice, you will need to provide a rabies certificate.
  • Provide a “current” address and “destination address” for the health certificate as well as the name or names of people traveling with or shipping and receiving your pet.
  • The name on the certificate needs to appear as it appears on your ID or passport.

Health certificates require an examination and the date on the certificate must match the date of the examination. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Please be prepared for your pet to “fail” the health certificate examination. While it is not common, some pets are diagnosed with new and emerging illnesses at their health certificate examination that prevent them from being able to travel safely. If your pet has any known health issues, we recommend checking with your veterinarian as to whether your pet can travel safely with their condition prior to purchasing tickets.

What are the health risks to be aware of at my pet’s destination?

Whenever possible, we recommend contacting a veterinary clinic anywhere you plan to travel and requesting information on any routine health recommendations they make for their patients. Specifically, you will want to learn about their heartworm and vaccination recommendations as well as asking about any concerns with local wildlife or diseases. For example, pets traveling to Eastern Washington and other parts of the country may be at risk for rattlesnake bites. Pets traveling to the Southwestern U.S. may be at increased risk of contracting Valley Fever. Knowing what to expect as you travel will help you make informed decisions to help reduce the likelihood of your pet becoming sick.

It is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the local veterinary clinics and emergency care options for your pet as they travel, too.

How do I take my pet to Hawaii?

In order to successfully take your pet to Hawaii you must plan ahead or be prepared for your pet to be quarantined in the state for 120 days at your cost or turned away and returned to their place of departure. Hawaii is a “rabies free” state which is a designation they take seriously.  The State of Hawaii Animal Industry Division has a page on their website that will always have the most up to date information about importing pets to their islands.

There are two programs by which pets can travel to Hawaii. The first is for 5 days or less/direct airport release which is the most common option for our clients to choose. Alternatively, you may opt to have your pet boarded and quarantined for 120 days in Hawaii before they are released into your care. The quarantine option still requires pre-planning to ensure there is room for your pet at the quarantine station.

In general, traveling with your pet to Hawaii is an expensive and time-consuming process that requires planning ahead. The requirements for pet import change periodically (usually making it easier to take your pet) but still remain laborious. If you would like to take your pet to Hawaii, please make sure to review the information provided by Hawaii and contact us to begin the process as soon as possible.

How do I travel with my pet internationally?

Planning ahead is crucial when traveling with your pet, especially when it comes to obtaining the necessary paperwork and certifications. Our practice does not currently offer international health certificates and we are unable to confirm which other practices are currently offering the service as their availability changes depending on their work load. However, we can provide a certificate of veterinary inspection (health certificate) that is accepted by domestic airlines and may be accepted for some international destinations. It’s important to note that we do not accept client-submitted health certificates. We strongly advise reviewing the USDA pet travel page for your pet’s destination and confirming any requirements from your airline to ensure that you have the correct documentation. For additional assistance with your pet’s international travel, we recommend contacting Washington’s USDA Endorsement office. Furthermore, we strongly suggest working with a pet shipping company to get your pet to their international destination. For more information about different companies and other important things to know about taking your pet abroad, consider visiting IPATA – International Pet and Animal Transportation Association. Proper planning ahead of time can help ensure that your pet’s travel is safe, comfortable, and stress-free.

Can my veterinarian provide documentation that my pet is a service animal?

Veterinarians are not able to provide documentation certifying your pet as a service or emotional support animal. Airlines are all required to abide by both the Americans with Disabilities act and the Airline Carrier Access Act, neither of which allow veterinarians to designate an animal as a pet, service, or emotional support animal. If you are concerned about traveling with your service or emotional support animal, please discuss these concerns with the airline so they can provide appropriate guidance.